Every time I make this recipe, I am startled by how good these are. My husband too. They come out perfectly every time. And, surprisingly, they are so damn easy.
I think of meatballs as some weird, flavorless, brick-like objects. Maybe this is because that’s how I had them growing up. This TOTALLY broke the paradigm for me. I often make double batched of these as they kick ass in spaghetti and meatballs the night I make them (with spicy red sauce and homemade pasta) and are equally good as leftovers in meatball sandwiches (on homemade rolls!) and scrambled into eggs.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cooking Time: 20-30 minutes
- 3 slices bread
- Note: Slightly stale bread works best, as this will be used for larger bread crumbs.
- Sub Note: You can sub 1/2 cup of bread crumbs, panko, or Italian style bread crumbs, but the larger chunks of actual bread are WAY better.
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano
- 2 tbsp fresh basil
- Sub Note: Basically a few tbsps of any leafy green fresh herbs will do. The above two are my favorite, but you can add or sub rosemary, thyme, parsley, etc. if you prefer.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- Note: This is optional, but a must if you like spicy!
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Toast the bread if it’s still fresh. You want it to be toasted but not burnt. Tear bread apart over the large mixing bowl. Pieces should be no bigger than 1/4″ in size, but it’s ok if they are still a little moist
- Add all remaining ingredients to the bowl. Stir to combine and then mix together by hand.
- Spray a cookie sheet with nonstick cooking spray or oil. I like to line the cookie sheet first with aluminum foil to keep clean up to a minimum.
- Form the meat into balls and place on the prepared sheet. For golf ball sized meatballs, cook for 20 minutes. For larger baseball size meatballs, cook for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, let rest for 2 minutes, and serve!